In today’s job market, top talent is in unprecedented high demand. As an employer, you need to be flexible and ready to react quickly to meet the needs and demands of the most in-demand candidates.
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the national unemployment rate in December was 3.5 percent – its lowest point in 50 years. It’s more critical than ever to optimize the speed and success of your hiring process – for the benefit of your company and your current and prospective hires.
The Need for Speed
The average length of the hiring process in the U.S. is approximately 24 days. But in some cases, it could be much longer. If you find it’s taking your company too long to hire for open positions, there are steps you can take. They include:
- Using your internal network: As soon as a job opening occurs at your company, your first step should be to notify your current employees. This immediate internal posting gives team members an opportunity to shoot for a promotion, make a lateral move or otherwise change jobs to better suit them within your organization. In addition, encourage them to make referrals from their professional networks. If you don’t already have a formal employee referral program in place, now is the time to start one.
- Writing stellar job descriptions: Make sure every one of your JDs is clear, accurate, thorough and specific. Keep the tone positive, but don’t sugarcoat the details. This will help make your candidate selection process more effective and successful, starting with Round One.
- Eliminating any unnecessary steps: Don’t cut corners. But by the same token, get rid of any steps that add unnecessary time to your candidate selection strategy. Think ahead. For instance, request references during the first round of interviews. Then you can have them checked for all those who make it to Round Two, before you even consider making an offer.
- Building your bench strength: Hold informational interviews and take advantage of every networking opportunity – all for the purpose of lining up candidates for business-critical positions before openings occur. Succession planning has never been more critical. This includes reaching out to passive candidates and fostering long-term relationships. If push comes to shove, create roles for the best talent rather than risk losing them to a competitor.
Partner With Chane Solutions!
For maximum efficiency and effectiveness when it comes to candidate screens and drug testing – steps in your hiring process that can slow things down considerably if not handled well – don’t settle for just any provider. At Chane Solutions, our dedication to valuing education, compliance and customer service above all else is what sets us apart. Contact us today to learn more.