Relying on instinct alone when you hire someone is not enough. A candidate’s history goes a long way toward predicting their future behavior – and a thorough background check helps you make an informed hiring decision.
In a nutshell, a background check confirms that an applicant is who they say they are. It gives you an opportunity to confirm their validity regarding their identity, education and employment history, and any pertinent criminal or other records and past activities. It enables you to avoid hiring someone who may pose a threat to your company or become a liability in the future.
Information Included in a Background Check
Your job offer should be contingent upon the clear results of a background check, including:
- Social Security verification: Validation of a candidate’s Social Security number, date of birth, and former addresses.
- Prior employment verification: The companies where a person worked, the dates they worked there, the positions they held, and any other relevant information such as their performance, the reason they left, and their eligibility for rehire. This should encompass the past two employers or the past five years, depending on the candidate.
- Personal and professional references: These are obtained via calls placed to people listed by a job applicant.
- Educational verification: This confirms a candidate’s claims to having attended educational institutions, as well as the years attended and the diplomas, degrees, certifications, or other milestones achieved.
- Criminal history: A review of any convictions or probations. Factors considered include the number and nature of crimes and their relevance to the position being filled, the length of time since those occurrences, and whether hiring an individual would pose an unreasonable risk to your business.
If applicable to a specific job, additional background check elements may include motor vehicle records and/or credit histories.
The Big Picture
If you fail to investigate a candidate’s background, you may be liable for negligent hiring if the person is later involved in serious misconduct or illegal activity. Punitive costs for such cases can quickly run into millions of dollars, not to mention the damage to your image and employer brand. In addition to being a valuable risk management tool, background checks can significantly lessen your chances of a bad hire.
Work With a Trusted Partner
Chane Solutions is a trusted source for background checks and all your employment screening and drug testing needs. Every background check we conduct undergoes a thorough quality control audit, with each component of every report evaluated for accuracy and completeness. We’ll help you maintain a safe working environment for all your team members while staying compliant with all applicable laws and regulations – and give you total confidence in every new hire. Contact us today to learn more.